Registered dietitian Anna Taylor says smoothies can quickly become an unhealthy minefield. You mix lots of peanut butter, nut or almond butter, coconut milk, and before you know it, become harmful.
But it doesn’t need to be that way.
Nutritionists now know that you need five basic ingredients to make a beverage that’s satisfying, nutritious and filling.
The ones to keep in mind are: liquid base, fruit, veggies, spices and greens, milk or juice and/or ice.
Smoothies can be made essentially of nutritious healthy greens, fruits and water.
I am a smoothie addict, haven’t you noticed it? I love my smoothies and in this post, you will find out which type of ingredients are needed to make a healthy smoothie.
How to make a healthy smoothie recipe early in the morning?
After a long or short night of sleep, I guess that the best thing you can offer your body and mind is a smoothie. Yes, a sound breakfast, that’s right, you wouldn’t find anything better to start the day than a healthy green smoothie.
Are you asking yourself why?
Well-read on to find out. The good news is that smoothies can be made under 3 minutes.
For a fine smoothie breakfast recipe, select water as base, and aim for a minimum of 5 ingredients.
One can prep any flavor you want.
Take your blender out, start assembling the ingredients. Pick a handful of spinach that will not change the taste of your smoothie.
Then pick two to three superfoods of your choice, such as: Acadia, bee pollen, baobab, cacao, maca, and turmeric that will cleanse your immune system before bedtime – that is key. See below.
Add a few fruits to complete a healthy smoothie breakfast, if you fancy a bit more creamy consistency pour in unsweetened almond milk.
What are the steps to prepare a nutrient-rich smoothie?
We figured it would be handy to design a sort of formula for you to follow. You may have most of the ingredients in your home! But if you don’t plan ahead.
I’ll walk you through the whole process to a make a variety of smoothie recipes.
So here you go:
Step 1: Choose your charmer base
To start with, you need to think which liquid to pour in your blender. I bet you have an idea, but fear not, I checked with our nutritionist friends, and the water liquid come out as the ideal base.
If you like your smoothie runnier, you simply add more water. They were against fruit juice or soya milk.
However, it is totally acceptable to add (as base):
- Plain natural yogurt,
- Almond milk or coconut unsweetened milk,
- Herbal tea (ginger, *matcha green tea,)
- Juice of one entire lemon or lime.
Tip: use vegetables with high water content for your smoothie base – pour in less water and instead add 8-10 sliced cucumber or celery as good for stomach with its anti-inflammatory properties.
Portion recommended: 1-2 celery stalks.
*Fashion models do like sipping match tea.
Step 2: Sweetness it is
To make sure your smoothie is delicious and nutritious, you must add natural sweetness from fresh fruits such as:
- Apples, pears, mangos etc. But let’s be honest, if you don’t have frozen fruits, just pick whatever it is in season.
Some top sweeteners you can add to your smoothie:
- Blueberries – these little berries, are super rich in antioxidants, vitamin K and C. Buy a frozen bag or two to keep it in the freezer. These are ideal in smoothies, yogurt or in your oatmeal.
- Pears, apples, contain so much fiber pectin and help intestinal cavity wall, reduces and balances the bacteria in the gut.
- Pineapple – on its one, has amazing nutrients (Bromelain). Known for its inflammation compounds, it can help your digestive system. Be aware they are high in sugar.
- Raspberries and strawberries are loaded with antioxidants.
Hint: Try our blueberry and cherry smoothie powerhouse to get a handful of vitamins and minerals.
Step 3: Add veggies, greens and spices
Time to add additional healthy leafs and spice things up a bit.
By adding kale and/or spinach, it will turn into a green color, whilst packing up the required vitamins and minerals that your body needs for the busy day ahead.
Spices, also, deliver that special flavor among other nutritional benefits.
- Go for ginger or ginseng. Both contain anti-inflammatory compounds to help protect your body.
- Cinnamon is loaded with antioxidants, balances and controls blood sugar. But, it also contains solid and respectful levels of anti-inflammatory properties.
- Nutmeg is known to fight and/or relief pain, thanks to anti-inflammatory capacities.
Time to prep a healthy smoothie recipe
All you need to do now is gather some ingredients listed from above and try to mix your way. Add any of the above to your blender. Make it liquid or creamy.
For a bit of frosty creamy, pour in roughly 150-200 ml of almond milk and few spoons of 5% of Greek yogurt. Humm, so delicious.
The choice is yours. Adding a bit extra liquid if needed to get your blender going. Remember, never force the engine.
There is no silver bullet to make a great smoothie. The key to the perfect smoothie is experimenting and explore your options. You’ll find that spices compliment well to each other, but don’t over do it.
You could try these to get inspired:
For a solid breakfast:
For any time of the day:
- Green smoothie coming soon
Pour in and ENJOY it! Trust me, it’s that easy to make healthy smoothie recipes.