I am a smoothie addict, in case you haven’t noticed. As a smoothie lover, I’ll show you in this post, how to make healthy smoothies. But also select the type of ingredients needed to make a healthy smoothie.
Nutritionists have made enough studies to know that you need five basic ingredients to make a beverage that’s tasty, nutritious, and filling.
The ones to keep in mind are:
To follow our dietician’s suggestions, smoothies should be made essentially of nutritious healthy greens, fruits, and water.
Registered dietitian Anna Taylor explains that smoothies can quickly become an unhealthy minefield if you pick the wrong ingredients.
For example, you mix lots of peanut butter, nut or almond butter, coconut milk, and soya milk, and before you know it, is becoming harmful.
But it doesn’t need to be that way.
How to make healthy smoothies in the morning or afternoon?
After a long or short night of sleep, one of the best things you can offer your body and mind is a smoothie. Yes, a sound breakfast, that’s right, you wouldn’t find anything better to start the day than a healthy green smoothie.
Are you asking yourself why?
Take your blender out, and start assembling the ingredients.
Pick and wash a handful of spinach and put it aside.
Then assemble two to three superfoods of your choice, such as:
- bee pollen,
- And turmeric, which will cleanse your immune system before bedtime.
The good news is that smoothies can be made in under 3 minutes.
Steps to prepare a nutrient-rich smoothie
We figured it would be handy to design a sort of formula for you to follow.
You may have most of the ingredients in your cupboard – otherwise, do check first!
I’ll walk you through the whole process of how to make a variety of smoothie recipes.
So here you go:
Step 1: Choose your charmer base
I bet you have an idea, but fear not, I checked with our nutritionist friends, and the water liquid comes out as the ideal base.
If you like your smoothie runnier, you simply add more water.
However, it is acceptable to add (as a base):
- Plain natural yogurt,
- Almond milk or coconut unsweetened milk,
- Herbal tea (ginger, *matcha green tea)
- Juice one entire lemon or lime.
Tip: use vegetables with high water content for your smoothie base – pour in less water and instead add 8-10 sliced cucumber or celery as good for the stomach with its anti-inflammatory properties.
Portion recommended: 1-2 celery stalks.
*Fashion models do like sipping matcha tea.
Step 2: Add sweetness to it
To make sure your smoothie is delicious and nutritious, you must add natural sweetness, preferably from fresh fruits such as:
- These are naturally sweet: Apples, pears, mangos, etc. But let’s be honest, if you don’t have frozen fruits, just pick whatever it is in season.
Some top sweeteners you can add to your smoothie:
- Blueberries – these little berries, are super rich in antioxidants, and vitamins K and C. Buy a frozen bag or two to keep in the freezer. These are ideal in smoothies, yogurt, or in your oatmeal.
- Pears, and apples, contain so much fiber pectin and help the intestinal cavity walls, reducing and balancing the bacteria in the gut.
- Pineapple – alone has amazing nutrients (Bromelain). It is known for its anti-inflammation compounds, to help your digestive system. Be aware they are high in sugar.
- Raspberries and strawberries are loaded with antioxidants.
Hint: Try our blueberry and cherry smoothie powerhouse to get a handful of vitamins and minerals.
Step 3: Add veggies, greens, and/or spices
Time to add additional healthy leaves and spice things up a bit.
By adding kale and/or spinach, it will turn into a green color, whilst packing up the required vitamins and minerals that your body needs for the busy day ahead.
Spices, also, deliver that special flavor among other nutritional benefits.
- Go for ginger or ginseng. Both contain anti-inflammatory compounds to help protect your body.
- Cinnamon is loaded with antioxidants, balances, and controls blood sugar. But, it also contains solid and respectful levels of anti-inflammatory properties.
- Nutmeg is known to fight and/or relieve pain, thanks to its anti-inflammatory capacities.
Time to compose your healthy smoothie recipe
For a fine smoothie breakfast recipe, pour around 350 ml of filtered water as a base.
Gather the ingredients listed above and pour them into your blender and turn it on to make it liquid or creamy.
If you fancy a bit of frosty creamy, pour in roughly 150-200 ml of unsweetened almond milk and a few spoons of 5% of Greek yogurt. Humm, so delicious.
The choice is yours.
Adding a bit extra liquid if needed to get your blender going. Remember, you should never force the engine.
There is no silver bullet to making a great smoothie. The key to the perfect smoothie is experimenting and exploring your options. You’ll find that spices complement well to each other, but don’t overdo it.
You could try these recipes for healthy smoothies or to get inspired:
For a solid breakfast:
For any time of the day:
- Green smoothie coming soon
Pour in, blitz it, and ENJOY it! Trust me, it’s that easy to make healthy smoothie recipes.