I tried tostones for the first time at a Cuban restaurant in Southern California. I loved the crispy outside and the soft inside. They make a great appetizer or side dish and appeal to everyone because of their mild, simple taste.
Tostones Recipe Plantain
- 1 Plantain per two people
- 1/2 c. oil
- pinch of salt
- Peel and cut plantain into 1 inch chucks.
- Heat oil on a stove or use a deep fryer to fry the pieces until golden brown (approx. 5 minutes).
- Remove from oil and place on a paper towel to soak up some of the oil.
- Place one plantain piece inside a paper bag and flatten with the use a mallet or the bottom of a jar. Flatten to half of its original size. Repeat with all pieces.
- Place the plantain back into the oil until it is golden brown (approx 3 minutes).
- Remove from oil and place them on a paper towel to soak up some of the oil.
- Sprinkle the plantains with a dash of salt.
- Serve immediately.