Adults who exercise moderately should eat on average 2 cups of fruits and 3 cups of vegetables daily. 5 cups of fruits and vegetables can be overwhelming if you aren’t use to eating that much. Here are a few ways to trick yourself into eating more raw fruits and vegetables…
- SLICE – Sliced fruits are visually more appealing which will make you subconsciously grab for them more!
- PRE-PACKAGE – Cut up veggies and put them into individual sized baggies for a quick on the go snack. Use items that stay well in the fridge for a few days, such as carrots, celery, broccoli, oranges, grapes and pomegranate arils.
- DRINK – Make a smoothie, buy a juicer to juice them, or drink V8.
- SUBSTITUTION – Serve protein such as chicken or fish over veggies instead of rice or pasta. Try Cauliflower Rice!
- MIX IT IN – Add veggies to store bought spaghetti sauce, chili, or lasagna.
- ADD ON TOP – Add fruits to the top of cereal, oatmeal, waffles, ice cream, etc.
- DIP IT – Ranch dip for veggies or carmel for fruit can be a great treat to help you eat more fruits & vegetables.
- CHEESE – Add cheese to the top of any vegetable to make it a little easier to eat.
- SNEAK IT IN – Shred carrots or zucchini and then add it to meatloaf, hamburgers, or meatballs. Also, puree cauliflower, squash, or bell peppers and add them to sauces, mashed potatoes, or pot pies.
- MAKE IT FUN – Eating fruits and vegetables is so much easier when it is fun and exciting. Grill peaches, create veggie skewers, or make creations such as ants on a log (peanut butter stuffed celery with raisins on top).
How do you like to enjoy your fruits & vegetables?